9.10.2011

Maya Angelou


Last night, I had the great fortune of being in the presence of one of the greatest voices of contemporary literature: Maya Angelou. While I do not know much about this woman, what I do know is that this
 great poet, author, educator, actress, humanitarian, mother and world leader has a voice that echos around the world offering her inspiration, insight and understanding of humanity.

Her message of the evening was that the most important work we have as human beings is to liberate one another - to be free - and we do this one person at a time. Each of us must do our 'work' so we do not live in each others' darkness or ignorance.

She reminded me that we are more alike than we are unalike - I'm sure she's a yogini.

Maya Angelou went on to discuss that we cannot look to any other human being and say, "I could never do that," as if that person embodies some kind of human characteristic that we could not. Indeed, we are all human and it is both the light and the dark that we so often see in other people that also resides within us all.


"I am a human being; nothing human can be alien to me." 
~ Terence, Roman playwright


She voiced that courage is our most important virtue for it is from courage that all other virtues arise. While we can practice any virtue erratically, but nothing consistently without courage. It is our courage that keeps us saying, "Yes, I do."

Embrace the courage to live your life to the fullest because by the very virtue of you living your own life, you will inspire others to do the same. The simple act of you living your life can have a profound impact on how another lives their life.