2.26.2013

Passion and Purpose

I had the delight of being interviewed by Ginger from Ginger & Spice for the Chain of Inspiration. In case you missed it, here's the full interview (for the abbreviated interview, wander over here):



When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? A trapeze artist! While I never ran away to join the circus, the Trapeze School New York has a location in LA and it has absolutely proven to be one of the most exhilarating experiences of my life! There is something incredible about flying through space, adventuring into the unknown, flipping around, and trusting that someone else will catch you. It’s a great metaphor on trusting trust.

What are your 2013 hopes & dreams? Funny you ask as I just finished creating my vision board for the year! My hopes are dreams for 2013 are to continue teaching yoga around the world and cultivate deep, passionate, soulful connections with people I work and play with along the way. I am also committed to continue building conscious business (through nubeleaf) that supports the health of people, pets and the planet.

What makes you get up in the morning/inspires you? Sunshine! And when the sun isn’t shining: love, purpose and passion.

How did you get involved in nutrition? When I eighteen years old and traveling in India, I decided I wanted to learn how to heal the body naturally. To be honest, I don’t remember what had inspired that thought, but the feeling was so strong and deep I just “knew” it was my path. I spent six months in India and then went back to Canada to study Western Plant Medicine and Nutrition with a good balance of science, psychology and yoga along the way. I have come to believe that health and well-being are carefully interdependent on finding the balance of several factors: nutrition, relationships, career and love for the self.

What is it you love most about eating healthy and mindfully? I love the energy that food gives us. It’s a very basic concept: we eat to have energy. However, the QUALITY of the food is absolutely everything! Different foods have different energy - an energy that goes beyond calories. There is a difference between the energy you get from a salad made from the goods you pick up at your local Farmers Market compared to the energy you get from fast food. Local, natural foods work with your body’s own ability to heal, restore well-being and impart radiance. When your nutrition is in balance, your body finds its ideal weight, your skin has a natural glow, and your energy remain high and stable throughout the day. One last thing I love about healthy and mindful eating is that good company always makes food more vibrant and tasty!

What tips can you give to any passionate individual looking to branch out in the nutrition side of business? Passion inspires purpose: follow it! Dig deeply into the aspect of health that inspires you and go deeper. By doing so you will gain not only knowledge (which will empower you with confidence) but also clarity about how you want to share your passion. Become the expert in your field, but never pretend to have all the answers. Don’t be afraid to fail. Keep living, learning, and keeping it real and honest as you go.

What advice do you have for anyone who wants to set up a business doing what they love? Whether starting a nutritional business or any business, really: just do it! When your intuition speaks to you and through you, LISTEN! You’ve got to take the initiative to make things happen: do your work, dig around, research your field, be experimental and have a plan. That said, be prepared to throw your plan out the window. Once you dive in, new inspirations and opportunities will come to you and it’s important to be open to something greater or different than your initial vision. Work hard (but don’t struggle) and be persistent. Ask questions and ask for help when you need it and above all have fun!

What other passions take up your time? Aside from making green smoothies, roaring up my juicer, and yoga, I spend a lot of time writing, reading, cycling, sailing, taking long walks along the beach, art gallery hopping and traveling. I draw inspiration from different places and people around the world - or in my own backyard.

Who would be your fantasy 5 dinner party guests? My number one guest invite would be Oprah! Next up would be the Obamas, Ghandi, Steve Jobs and Madonna.

If you were stranded on a desert island, what 5 items would you wish you had? An unlimited supply of water, my man, spirulina, lip balm (with SPF),  and a knife - gotta crack the coconuts! 



No comments:

Post a Comment